FOIA Advisor

Q&A: Polluting park rangers?

Q&A (2015-16)Ryan MulveyComment

Q.  How do I file a FOIA request with the U.S. Forest Service about Sumter National Forest in South Carolina?  I’m looking for records concerning lead contamination from their gun range into a city water supply, which is a violation of state and federal statutes.  They have ignored my written and verbal requests for information for over a year.

A.  The U.S. Forest Service has instructions for how to file a FOIA request available online.  A request for records maintained by the rangers in Sumter National Forest would likely need to be submitted to one of the Forest Service’s regional FOIA Service Centers—in this case, Region 8.  Further details, including the mailing address, e-mail, and phone number for Region 8 are also available online