FOIA Advisor

Q&A: Better Call NARA

Q&A (2015-16)Allan BlutsteinComment

Q.  Can I request employment records and/or the reason an employee was terminated for an employee that worked 20-25 years ago for the U.S. Department of Energy in New Mexico?

A.  The personnel records of former federal civilian employees are maintained at the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), which is a component of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA).  Here are the instructions for making a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request for such records.  Keep in mind that NARA may withhold information if it falls within one of nine FOIA exemptions, notably Exemption 6, which pertains to personal privacy (e.g., date of birth SSN, medical & insurance information, etc.).  The reason for an employee's separation might also be protected by Exemption 6, depending upon the circumstances.