FOIA Advisor

Q&A: Uncharitable boss?

Q&A (2017)Allan BlutsteinComment

Q.  Can I make a freedom of Information request to a non-profit organization [in Massachusetts] if they failed to provide a resolution to my complaint against my boss?  The investigation is over, but I would like copies of the complete investigation because they did not give me any resolution.

A.  The Public Records Law in Massachusetts applies to records created or obtained by government entities. Therefore, the records you seek do not appear to be subject to a PRL request.  For further information, you might wish to review A Guide to the Massachusetts Public Records Law issued by the Secretary of the Commonwealth.