FOIA Advisor

Q&A: Border Crossings

Q&A (2017)Ryan MulveyComment

Q:  I am a permanent resident.  How can I request records documenting my arrival and departure to and from the United States for each time I've traveled outside the country?

A.  Records concerning entry and exit from the United States after 1982 are available through the Department of Homeland Security's Customs and Border Protection ("CBP") agency.  Further information about how to submit a FOIA request to CBP is available here or through FOIAOnline.  Please remember that you'll need to provide enough information (e.g., date of birth, alien number, etc.) to establish your identity.  This will help the agency to locate your records and also satisfy its obligations under the Privacy Act.  If you still have questions, consider calling the CBP FOIA Office at (202) 325-0150 (Mon. - Fri., 8am - 5pm EST).