FOIA Advisor

FOIA News: Clinton resists deposition to ask who urged using private server

FOIA News (2015-2025)Kevin SchmidtComment

Clinton resists deposition to ask who urged using private server

By Josh Gerstein, Politico, July 29, 2016

Lawyers for Hillary Clinton say her recent comment that someone "recommended" she use a private email system while secretary of state is no reason to subject her to a sworn deposition in a pending federal lawsuit about State Department records.

Just hours after Clinton wrapped up her speech accepting the Democratic presidential nomination at the party's convention in Philadelphia, Clinton's legal team submitted an unexpected legal filing to a federal judge in Washington Friday morning, arguing that Clinton's statement in a televised interview aired Sunday does not bolster a conservative group's drive to depose her.

"Secretary Clinton’s recent statement is completely consistent with her many other statements on this topic," longtime Clinton lawyer David Kendall wrote in a pleading filed with U.S. District Court Judge Emmet Sullivan.

"It was recommended that it would be convenient, and I thought it would be. It’s turned out to be anything but," Clinton told Scott Pelley of CBS's "60 Minutes" during a joint interview with new running mate Sen. Tim Kaine (D-Va.)

On Monday, the group pressing the Freedom of Information Act suit in front of Sullivan, Judicial Watch, sent Sullivan a transcript of the interview. The organization also argued that Clinton's statement was yet another indication that questions remain about why Clinton chose to use the private server located in the basement of her home rather than the State Department's official systems.

Read more here.

FOIA News: A FOIA Fish Story

FOIA News (2015-2025)Allan BlutsteinComment

Author Says FOIA Suit Yielded Results

By Barbara Wallace, Courthouse News Service, July 28, 2016

A federal lawsuit moved the U.S. Department of Commerce to hand over thousands of pages of withheld documents needed to write a book, the environmental activist and author said Thursday.   

Writer, fisherman and environmental activist Alan Stein sued the Commerce Department under the Freedom of Information and Administrative Procedures Acts in July 2015. He claimed the department and two of its agencies — the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and the Office of the Inspector General — had stonewalled his requests for documents he needed for a book he was writing.

Last year, Stein told Courthouse News the planned book required materials from an investigation of Arnie Fuglvog, a former fishing vessel operator and fisheries official who spent time in prison for making false statements in fishing quota reports.

Read more here.

FOIA News: OGIS Issues Compliance Report on Secret Service

FOIA News (2015-2025)Allan BlutsteinComment

OGIS Releases Assessment of Secret Service FOIA Program

OGIS Blog, July 27, 2016 

Our compliance assessment includes observations and recommendations for the United States Secret Service’s FOIA program. (NARA identifier 6520033)

Today we are releasing a report on the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) program at the United States Secret Service (USSS), the fifth in our series of assessments of FOIA programs at components of the Department of Homeland Security. Like other OGIS reports on agency FOIA program assessments, the report includes findings and recommendations about the USSS FOIA Program.

Read more here.

Q&A: Anticipation is keeping me waiting

Q&A (2015-2025)Allan BlutsteinComment

Q.  What is the time frame to get a response after mailing my FOIA request?

A.  A federal agency has 10 days to acknowledge receipt of your request and 20 business days from the date of receipt to make a final determination.  If unusual circumstances exist, the agency may extend its response time for an additional 10 business days.  Additionally, an agency may toll the response deadline once if it needs to clarify your request or multiple times in order to resolve fee issues.

FOIA News: Court denies State Dept.'s request for 27-month extension to process Clinton-related email

Allan BlutsteinComment

Judge faults State Department for 'lax' response to Clinton-linked FOIA surge

By Josh Gerstein, Politico, July 26, 2016

A federal judge is faulting the State Department for slacking off in its effort to process Freedom of Information Act requests after the diplomatic agency finished cranking out about 30,000 of Hillary Clinton's emails earlier this year.

In an order Monday, U.S. District Court Judge Rudolph Contreras largely rejected a State Department request for a 27-month extension to respond to conservative group Citizens United's demands for emails between four former State officials and individuals at the Clinton Foundation and a consulting firm close to the Clintons, Teneo.

The judge said State's own data showed a "marked drop" in resources devoted to FOIA processing at the agency in February, around the time the last batch of emails Clinton turned over to State were publicly released.

"As clearly shown in Defendant’s graph, Defendant has, since February 2016, reduced the amount of resources it is devoting to FOIA processing ... his reduction occurred even though Defendant’s number of FOIA cases in litigation and Defendant’s number of open FOIA requests have not experienced a similar decrease," Contreras wrote. "Because these facts imply that Defendant has been 'lax ... in meeting its [FOIA] obligations...with all available resources. ...' the Court does not find a twenty-seven month extension of time appropriate."

Read more here. 

FOIA News: Inaugural meeting of Chief FOIA Officers Council

Allan BlutsteinComment

Chief FOIA Officers Council meets for the first time

By Luis Ferre Sadurni, Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press, July 25, 2016

The Chief FOIA Officers Council, charged with addressing the most important difficulties in administering FOIA across government, met for the first time July 22 to begin the process of implementing a “release to one is a release to all” standard for federal records.

The policy would make agencies release FOIA-processed records to one requester and simultaneously to the general public by posting them online.

Concerns about the policy from both journalists and FOIA officers were addressed at the meeting. Many reporters worry that releasing requested documents to the public would compromise their reporting by allowing others to steal their “scoop.” Agency FOIA officers were troubled by the burden of ensuring records are accessible to all and in compliance with Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act.

Melanie Ann Pustay, director of the Department of Justice’s Office of Information Policy, and Nikki Gramian, acting director of the Office of Government Information Services (OGIS), co-chair the council. The 103-member council also includes the deputy director for management of the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), the chief FOIA officer of each agency, and any other persons designated by the co-chairs.

Following enactment of the FOIA Improvement Act, the Obama administration charged the FOIA Officers Council and OMB with implementing the policy and addressing journalists’ and agencies’ concerns by Jan. 1, 2017.

Read more here.

FOIA News: The good, bad, and the ugly, by Columbia Journalism Review

FOIA News (2015-2025)Allan BlutsteinComment

How some recent FOIA news could help—and limit—access to government records

By Jonathan Peters, Columbia Journalism Rev., July 25, 2016

IF NOTHING WORTH HAVING COMES EASY, then freedom of information must be worth a lot. A recent FOIA reform promises to improve access to public records, and a federal appeals court decision this month made clear that agencies cannot shield their records from disclosure by storing them in a private email account—each a sign of progress. But other recent developments point toward the enduring challenge of empowering “citizens to know what their Government is up to,” as the Supreme Court once said.

In a story last week, ProPublica reporters told “aneurysm-inducing tales of protracted jousting with the public records offices of government agencies.” Jesse Eisinger, for example, said the SEC once told him that it would take 36 months to begin processing a request he filed, and Julia Angwin said it took an agency two years to fulfill (partially) one of her requests—by mailing the records to the wrong person, who herself had been waiting years for a response from the same agency. The tales paint an ugly portrait of a press and public that too often struggle to wrest documents from government control.

Read more here.

FOIA News: Kansas sues Pentagon for Gitmo records

FOIA News (2015-2025)Kevin SchmidtComment

Kansas sues Pentagon for Gitmo records

By Rebecca Kheel, The Hill, July 22, 2016

Kansas has sued the Defense Department for records related to the search for an alternative location to house Guantánamo Bay detainees, suggesting the information is being withheld for political reasons.

Kansas Attorney General Derek Schmidt filed the lawsuit Friday in federal court, saying the Pentagon has failed to respond to a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request for records on its site surveys of Kansas’s Fort Leavenworth and other locations.

“Our concerns are heightened because the administration admits it has the records we requested and initially promised to produce them but now are inexplicably dragging their feet until after the November election,” Schmidt said in a written statement Friday. “We are seeking some court-ordered sunshine now to discourage mischief later in the final weeks before the president leaves office."

Read more here.

Court opinions issued July 19, 2016

Court Opinions (2015-2024)Allan BlutsteinComment

Nat'l Ass'n of Criminal Def. Lawyers v. U.S. Dep't of Justice (D.C. Cir.) -- affirming the district court's decision that DOJ properly relied upon the attorney work-product privilege of Exemption 5 to withhold its "Federal Criminal Discovery Blue Book," which contains "information and advice for prosecutors about conducting discovery in their cases, including guidance about the government's various obligations to provide discovery to defendants."  

Knuckles v. Dep't of the Army (S.D. Ga.) -- dismissing action as moot because agency provided pro se plaintiff with her employment records following lawsuit; denying plaintiff's claims for monetary damages, attorney fees, and the appointment of a Special Counsel to investigate the agency; granting plaintiff's claim for costs because she substantially prevailed.  

Bloomgarden v. U.S. Dep't of Justice (D.D.C.) -- concluding that agency properly redacted under Exemption 7(C) the names and signatures of government agents on proffer agreements that were otherwise disclosed to plaintiff.

Summaries of all opinions issued since April 2015 available here.