FOIA Advisor

Q&A: video footage from nightclub

Q&A (2015-16)Allan BlutsteinComment

Q.  Can I obtain video from nightclub were I was assaulted by the bouncers?

A.  Generally speaking, the federal Freedom of Information Act and State open record laws apply to government entities only, not to private establishments.  You might be able to obtain any security camera footage, or at least prevent it from being discarded or erased, if you file a lawsuit against the establishment or file a complaint with local police.  In that regard, I can only recommend that you consult with an attorney licensed in your State.