FOIA Advisor

Q&A: Fly or No-Fly?

Q&A (2015-16)Allan BlutsteinComment

Q.  Can you check whether my ex-husband and I appear on any government watch lists?  I ran a background check which showed nothing bad, but they listed my ex-husband as having a possible criminal driving or other criminal activity (which is false).  I do not want to pay airline fare to visit my cousin in Massachusetts if I am going to be turned away! 

A.   I can only suggest that you contact the U.S. Department of Homeland Security "Traveler Redress Inquiry Program"(TRIP), which is designed to assist individuals "who have inquiries or seek resolution regarding difficulties they experienced during their travel screening at transportation hubs." The following guidance from the American Civil Liberties Union might also be of interest.